Friday 4 March 2016

CALLS FOR TACKLING TO BE BANNED IN SCHOOLS

I guess where you stand on this is down to personal experience. The Southern Hemisphere play more touch at a young age, and divide people at 11 on size and ability not age, so can we learn from them? If rugby was invented now, would it be the same game, would tackling be allowed, would scrums, would kicking the ball in a ruck? Those of us brought up in the 60's and 70's probably have a less risk adverse attitude to parenting and life, having been allowed to skateboard down the road at will. And isn't good tackling down to being taught the correct technique? Unfortunately too many professionals exhibit poor technique, even internationals like Sexton, who are coached to go high to prevent offloads, but often, either get a hand off in the face, or get their head in the wrong position and suffer concussion.

Rugby has always been a unique sport, like rowing, where they throw you a ball and if you drop it you get asked to row. Rugby is a sport for all shapes, sizes and athletic abilities, from props to second row to scrum halves (like me) to wingers and full backs. How many other sports allow doctors and lawyers to play alongside plumbers and builders, so forming lifelong friendships over beer and singing? How many small rural communities thrive thanks to the rugby club allowing people from all parts of society to bond easily and forge that local village and town community and identity.

Image result for schools rugby tackling
Watch that left arm son..
And why just schools? It's funny how clubs get left out of the debate. In my experience of club rugby mini and youth coaching, the standard of tuition, refereeing and guidance is as high, if not higher than most rugby schools. I think in some of the better private rugby schools, where parents regard winning games (at all costs) as part of their ROI, the pressure put on boys and coaches is not healthy. Schools culture is short term, based on local rivalries and winning the NatWest Cup, and they have no interest in player welfare beyond 18, whereas clubs need Colts or Academy players post school or Uni to help field 2/3/4 Senior teams every weekend, so their attitude to player injury, recovery and rehab is more long term.

The Guardian has a very evenly balanced article on the subject, but if you love the game, and consider tackling (and the physicality of it) a key ingredient, there is one quote from a player that stands out a mile:

I met most of my closest friends through the sport

I’m a big chap. I play as a prop. I started playing at the age of seven and played all through school. I don’t like football, am woeful at cricket and am the wrong shape for everything else that’s not the shot-put. Playing rugby in school is dangerous, but like everything else in life, it is a matter of risk versus reward. If rugby had been touch-only during my school years, I’d simply never have been selected; there’s no need for me in a game of speed. I don’t think I’d have continued.

I’m 40 now and still play to an OK standard every weekend. Rugby is the reason I try to keep my weight down and stay fit. Most of my closest friends in life I met through rugby. If I’d stopped playing in school, I’d have none of this in my life. My experience is that the risk is dwarfed by the reward. For full disclosure, the injuries over the last 32 seasons are:

Broken collar bone (needed surgery)
One concussion (didn’t return to play for six weeks)
Cracked wrist (not broken all the way through)
Cracked rib (not broken all the way through)
Cracked humerus (not broken all the way through)

  The rest of article is here

No comments:

Post a Comment